Saturday, May 8, 2010

Simple Gifts

Photobucket~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My children and husband always ask me what I want for my birthday, Mother’s Day or Christmas. I could name dozens of things I want or would like to have, but few things I really need. For some reason I prefer to give gifts rather than receive them. When my husband and I were dating, I would often surprise him with a little gift: a small book, an inexpensive item from a store that we could use together like a kite we could fly or a toy boat we could sail in a local quarry, or something simple, but useful that he wouldn’t think to buy for himself. I continued this practice of giving small gifts with my children. When they were young I would buy them a book every month purchased from the sale table at a local bookstore. I gave them treat bags for Halloween, Easter baskets for Easter, and bags of candy for St. Valentine’s Day. I enjoyed filling their Christmas stockings with useless items and candy. I purchased Advent boxes for them when they were young and still continue the practice of filling the boxes with small items to count down the days to Christmas. They complain and often tell me I can discontinue the practice, but I know they would miss having something to look forward to each day. This year when I didn’t get around to creating bags for St. Valentine’s Day my older son asked me if I had forgotten.

Many years ago when I had more time than money, I made gifts for family members. One year it was bathrobes. Another year I made needlepoint Christmas stockings, pillows, and ornaments. Sometimes the gifts were simple like homemade cookies, candy and pizzelles. My sister-in-law said those were her favorite gifts. I too have discovered that the simplest gifts are the ones I love the most. A drawing or card made at school, photographs hand colored by my daughter, an inexpensive gift chosen because the giver knew I would like it, a hand painted vase filled with handmade paper flowers.

Every year when my children ask what I would like for Christmas, I always tell them to have their photo taken with our dogs and Santa. I think they don’t realize how much that photo means to me. I keep the most recent one next to my desk and look at it many times during the day. When I tell my children I don’t need anything, I am being truthful. They are my gift.

“You give but little when you give of your possessions.
It is when you give of yourself that you truly give.” ~Khalil Gigran
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment