Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Miss Wilson

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
When I moved to Louisville in 1978, I had no job, no friends, and no car. When finding employment proved to be impossible and being isolated in a small apartment while my husband attended classes was more than I could bear, I decided to volunteer at the art library at the Speed Museum. The museum was adjacent to the law school at the University of Louisville and every Tuesday and Thursday I would ride to and from the museum with my husband. While performing research, dry mounting photos, and updating files I became acquainted with another volunteer, Elizabeth Wilson. Miss Wilson was petite and pleasantly plumb. She had a sweet round face, a full head of white hair, and was many years my senior. She was also one of the most interesting and knowledgeable people I had ever met. Despite the difference in our ages, we soon became friends. We talked for hours while working in the library and began to have lunch together. For some reason Miss Wilson enjoyed my company and my husband and I began spending time with her outside the museum.

Miss Wilson was born in 1902 and was one of three sisters. Her father and a brother died when she was young and she was raised by her mother. All three sisters were talented and interesting. Miss Wilson often spoke about her childhood and her life. She was involved in the theater when she was young and she was the coordinator of the Louisville Service Club during World War II. She lived in Germany after the war working with the United Service Organization. Miss Wilson is mentioned in the encyclopedia of Louisville and the Elizabeth A. Wilson Papers are available in The Filson Historical Society Special Collections: http://kdl.kyvl.org/static/findaids/kyead/kyead_KUK-Knt001309.html

Miss Wilson was like a surrogate mother to me. She often praised me and encouraged my endeavors. She was kind and generous. She was a living archive and shared her time and interests with me and my family. Miss Wilson mentioned me and my husband in the annual Christmas letter she sent to friends. She and her sisters invited us into her sister’s home during the holidays and my children visited her in the nursing home after she fell and required temporary care. Unfortunately, as my children grew older and their activities and work overtook my life, my contact with Miss Wilson decreased. We still exchanged Christmas cards and notes, but we no longer spent time together. New friends partook of Miss Wilson’s knowledge and enthusiasm for life. I thought of her often, but, to my great regret, did not make an effort to renew our relationship.

Miss Wilson died January 28, 2000 at the age 97. At her funeral friends spoke of her most recent interests, including donating a doll that had been in her family for many years and learning gospel songs. Miss Wilson and her sisters had no children and she was survived by one cousin. Her friends were her extended family. I am honored to have been one of Miss Wilson’s many friends.

Each friend represents a world in us, a world possibly not born until they arrive. ~Anais Nin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment