Saturday, April 24, 2010

Stormy Weather

Photobucket~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The local weather stations are predicting a spring storm tonight with heavy rains, high winds, thunder and lightning - my favorite kind of evening. I love lying in bed in the middle of the night hearing the storm passing overhead, shaking the tree branches and battering the roof. When thunder shakes the house and rattles the windows, my dogs bark in response. If the storm intensifies and sets off a warning siren, the dogs join in with a howling song to ensure that no one sleeps while danger is near.

I like dark rainy mornings when I can pull the covers over my head and sleep as if time has stopped and the obligations of the day have been suspended. I like rainy days when I have nowhere to go and I can idle away the hours with my dogs, a good book, and a cup of tea. I like the way the world looks after the storm has ended - everything is clean and renewed, and the raindrops sparkle in the sunshine.

I have many memories associated with rain and thunder storms: Standing in the backyard at my cousin Joey’s house, imagining that the thunder was caused by giants bowling in the sky; Walking back to the dorm at night after seeing a movie at a local theater with a group of college friends, dancing in the street and splashing in the puddles; Driving to New York in the early morning hours with lightning so bright the pre-dawn hours seemed like day, my children sleeping in the back seat and the windshield wipers thumping out a monotonous tune. My favorite memory is sitting with my parents on their front porch during one of our annual summer visits to their farm. We watched the lightning in the distance as a storm approached. My parents and I talked, enjoying the evening, while my children played on the front lawn.

My children are grown, my parents long gone, and my extended family and college friends far away. The passing storm reminds me of those moments that seemed insignificant at the time, but it is those simple moments that are the essence of life.

When shall we three meet again, in thunder, lightning or in rain. ~Madelein L'Engle
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment